Saturday, July 08, 2006

Aromatherapy and Microwave Heating Pads That are Perfume Free

My grandmother used to wrap orange blossoms in plastic baggies and mail them to me in Maine from Florida in the dead of winter. As soon as I opened the door of the mail box and that sweet fragrance condensed in the cold air, I knew what was inside the envelope and who had sent them. That was 25 years ago but the smell of orange blossoms brings back fond memories of my Nana who was so loving and such an important part of my life.

Many people associate particular smells with comforting experiences -- especially cooking smells. Maybe that is why aromatherapy helps because it brings back fond memories of good times.

According to Brent Bauer, MD at the Mayo Clinic, some studies show that there may be some benefits to aromatherapy in relieving anxiety or depression, or "improved quality of life, particularly for people who have chronic health conditions." 

I also understand that some people have allergies to fragrances, and so, at Maine Warmers, we fill our microwave heating pads with whole corn, not popping corn, and skip the essential oils and other perfumes, as much as they might appeal to me.

Rice heating pads take on a peculiar odor after being microwaved several times, and so fragrances are added to them to cover the smell of the cooked rice. I have learned from talking with folks that some people have developed adverse reactions to microwave warmers because of the association of that unfavorable smell.

Whole corn-filled (not popping corn) microwave heating pads have a mild aroma of a bowl of freshly popped corn. Whether or not the aroma does something for you, all of Maine Warmers offers help relax sore muscles and ease pain. Neck Warmers, Back Warmers, and creature shaped warmers are all filled with whole corn and have removable, washable covers. As much as I love the aroma of orange blossoms, I think it best to leave the aromatherapy to the professionals, as Dr. Bauer recommends.

No comments: