Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Treasuring Time with Elderly Parents

Balancing work and family is always a challenge. Today I played when I should have been working. I wanted to spend time with my father who is 87. Most of his friends have passed away, he can’t drive, can’t see or hear well, walks with a prosthesis from the loss of a leg during WW II, and has speech difficulties from a stroke. But he jokes, laughs, and tells stories in his own way when he can. I don’t know how he maintains such a positive outlook, though I have to credit my mother for taking good care of him all these years.

We walked along the harbor in Portland, and looked at the boats. He pushed the wheel chair and then sat when he tired, and I pushed. He waved at everyone who passed, and 99% of them waved back. We ate seafood chowder at Gilbert’s Chowder House whose staff went out of their way to accommodate his seating needs. We were sweating from the heat of the mid-day sun and laughed as we ordered hot seafood chowder.

As we crossed Commercial Street, on our way over and back, people in cars graciously stopped while he balanced on my arm – even though we were not in the crosswalk.

Time goes by and the opportunity to spend time with my folks in this stage of their lives won’t last forever. I can work tomorrow. In the end, I know that taking time to enjoy a summer day in Maine, where winter seems unending, was the right thing to do.

Maine Warmers  microwave heating pads can be frozen and used as gentle ice packs, providing gentle cold therapy for relief of summer heat. Neck Warmers and Back Warmers,  when frozen, can be used to reduce swelling and pain from bumps, bruises, and mild insect bites. A Cozy Sheep makes lovely gifts for and elderly parent.

No comments: