Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Vacation

I am walking for the exercise, though I am not in any hurry. Life seems so clear and simple as I watch a red-winged blackbird perch on the cat-o-nine tail in the warm morning sunshine. For a short while I can believe in the balance of nature and not worry about global warming and melting ice caps.

There are some places that make the world seem right and allow us to forget the horrendous conditions under which people are living and dying. A vacation seems selfish one moment and healing the next. Why can’t there be such peace and joy in the Middle East as there is on this winding sandy beach road?

The solitude is as lovely as the day. The sound of the ocean and the gently stirring natural environment heal my soul. I begin to feel resurrected from a frantically busy work pace and the media bombardment of weighty world problems. How can I take some of this simplicity home with me and inject it into my days?

I approach a patched, tarred road on this island off the coast of Maine and am prepared to engage in conversations that may be short or lengthy. I pass a garage with a new hand-painted sign, "Don't stop unless you have 20 min." I appreciate the casual yet caring interaction with familiar people – smiles, laughter, and eye contact. These relationships are relaxed, simple, and easy while others seem so complicated. Underneath the dialog I know there are stories of heartache, personal grief, and challenges. But these moments of basic human connection lift my spirits and give me hope.

At the end of this walk I feel refreshed. I don’t have the answers to the questions or solutions for the problems. I do know that rest and relaxation are vital to my well being. Stepping back from the world to gain a better perspective helps me focus on the things that are most important in life. All I need is to remember them throughout the year.

Maine Warmers sells microwave heating pads that help you relax at the end of a stressful workday. Use a Neck Warmer to relax tight neck muscles from tension due to a long work day or too many hours at the computer. The Cozy Sheep or Black Bear make functional and fun gifts of comfort and relaxation, and they don't look medicinal, so when not in use they decorate a bed or chair.

No comments: