Thursday, March 05, 2015

Challenges of being a primary caregiver

I search for help during my mother's slow progression toward death. The Caregivers Journey, (Hospice Web site) is a beautifully written piece that helps visualize what one cannot know or see ahead on the path to the other side.

Some days are hard for me as the primary caregiver, and I feel guilty that I cannot be 100% everyday. Balancing the needs of my mother with my own need to be mentally, physically, and emotionally healthy is part of that journey. On those days when I have my own difficulties coping it is important to take time off, regroup, and find ways to escape the heaviness that accompanies the job. I feel awful leaving her to herself. But I know that others are there to help her too.

Elderly woman using a Sheep microwave heating pad to help keep warm during periods of inactivity due to illness
Microwave Sheep Heating Pad
I don't know how long the journey will be. It's hard to make plans ahead, especially travel plans. So, to make the best of each day, and to live my life with joy, I need to go to the gym or go outside and exercise, avoid the foods that may give me comfort for a few minutes but will make me gain unwanted pounds. There isn't much time to socialize, and rest. Managing my own needs with those of my mother and other family members is part of what makes this journey so challenging.

A Maine Warmers microwave heating pad helps me relax as it also helps elderly people who are inactive due to illness or stroke.








No comments: