Saturday, April 08, 2006

Use relaxation to help reduce food cravings

Sometimes I crave sweets when relaxation is what I really need. A cup of tea with a couple of cookies and a few minutes time out to enjoy it is how I tend to chill out. The time out is what I need -- not the tasty treat.

There are times when I crave something sweet so much I will stop at the store or make a special trip to buy dessert. Once I have it in my pocket, purse, or grocery bag the craving magically goes away. I haven't eaten it, but have lost the craving.

There are times during the day when it is hard to relax, either because the schedule is so tight or I’m already in a high speed wobble and cannot seem to slow down. It helps to slow down when those cravings bite. Sometimes I will ask my husband to offer a gentle reminder after supper to take a deep breath and relax. Other times a self reminder is all that's needed.

Woman relaxing with a microwave sheep heating padThe Mayo Clinic has several suggestions for relaxation techniques that might help chase away some of those food cravings. I was a bit surprised that they don't mention a little time out on the couch with a heating pad. I have used heat to relax tense muscles and help ease away anxiety and cravings. A microwave heating pad from Maine Warmers is versatile and can be used for a variety of ailments. Check out the Cozy Sheep Warmers.  They are portable, easy to use, safe, and have no added fragrances.

No comments: