Thursday, May 05, 2016

Colic is stressful for parents as well as babies

Colic is not only distressing for a baby but is for the parents as well. I recall walking my second child
Painting by Berthe Morisot, The Cradle, 1872, of a mother watching a sleeping baby in a cradle covered with netting
What mothers want to see
for several hours each day wondering how long it would take for his system to mature so he wouldn’t be in pain and would stop crying. A call to the doctor (that was decades ago) relieved my fears that something was wrong. My baby wasn’t always in pain, just in the afternoons. Being told that babies often outgrow colic in three months wasn’t very settling to me or my husband.

I was nursing and didn’t smoke or drink. I walked him to keep his body upright -- as advised. I tried adjusting my diet but I am not sure that did much good. It seemed like I was doing the right things, but little seemed to help except time. I think it was about a week or two, although it seemed like years, and he began to get over whatever was causing the distress.

The Mayo Clinic has an article on the symptoms, causes, risk factors, tests, support, some tips, and home remedies.  I did a lot of rocking and singing but didn’t know that gentle heat on a baby’s tummy may help relieve symptoms.

A Maine Warmer, microwaved for 30 seconds and placed on the tummy, provides gentle heat. A pair
of Palm Packs are small enough for a baby -- or use Maine Ice (pictured at the right) which can be heated. All of Maine Warmers products can be microwaved for heat or frozen for gentle cold therapy. And they all have washable covers.


A bonus! Place it in the baby’s crib to pre-warm the sheets and prevent the baby from waking. As the baby grows, he or she will appreciate some of the cute animal designs.

No comments: