Thursday, October 04, 2012

Coffee withdrawal and joint pain


A few years ago, I was standing in the checkout line at a hospital coffee shop when I overheard the conversation of two physicians in front of me. Of course I listened in. One of them said, "I love coffee but I always feel like I need to have something with it." On his tray next to the coffee sat a blueberry muffin.

I wanted to chime in that I agreed, but kept mum. The chemistry of coffee does cry out for a sweet accompaniment -- like chocolate or peanut butter -- something to neutralize the acidic element. Tea doesn't seem to have the same effect.

Coffee has no calories, until we add sugar and cream. It has no food value, although recent studies suggest it has some cancer preventing benefits. Surely, the caffeine in a cup of java perks us up in the morning, and to many of us that first sip tastes like heaven.

I recently decided to cut out my second mug of mid-morning coffee and go for a glass of water and a healthier snack like yogurt or fruit. I feel better and seem to have more energy during the day, although I found caffeine withdrawal headaches were uncomfortable for a day or two after the change.

According to Wikipedia caffeine withdrawal can cause "irritability, inability to concentrate, drowsiness, insomnia, and pain in the stomach, upper body, and joints..."

If you want cut back on coffee, a gradual reduction would probably reduce some of the difficult symptoms. Using heating pad a may help with irritability or joint pain. Unique and whimsical Cozy Sheep and Bears, or Dachshund Neck Warmer, all microwave heating pads from Maine Warmers, are fun to curl up with on a cold autumn or winter day. Enjoy a cup of coffee with or without the snack, read a book, and relax with the comforting warmth of a Maine Warmer.
Man using a Maine Warmers microwave heating pad in the shape of a Bear on his shoulder
Black Bear microwave heating pad for the shoulder



Woman relaxing with a Dachshund Neck Warmer from Maine Warmers while drinking coffee
Dachshund Neck Heating Pad
I don't crave that sweet snack that seemed so desirable with a cup of coffee, but I must confess that I still love to hear what people talk about in checkout lines and sometimes join the conversation.

No comments: