Wednesday, April 08, 2015

Refilling the cup -- recovering from loss

My mother passed away less than a month ago. I miss her, the laughs, and the closeness we shared. Now the cup is empty, waiting to be filled again with laughter and intimacy.

I have watched people spend years grieving the loss of a spouse or significant other, and to what end? Maybe a wish to die also and follow a lover?

If I should die before my husband or my children I want them to continue on, refilling their cups with laughter and friendship, and giving their love to those around them who need love and to laugh.

Because I go out and have fun today and laugh doesn't mean I don't miss my mother or have forgotten her. I found the time to spend with her when she was alive and needed me. Even through the most difficult phases of her passing there was room to find joy. Her face looked beautiful even hours before she passed.

Now I have time to see friends and make new ones. Life is a blessing that I have learned to appreciate.

Woman relaxing with  a comforting Cozy Sheep microwave heating pad from Maine Warmers
Comforting Cozy Sheep Microwave Heating Pad
While refilling the cup, in order to reduce stress, it is important to sleep well, to drink plenty of water, eat healthy foods (easier said then done when stressed), exercise, and laugh. Maintaining balance has helped me in the grieving process. If relaxation is difficult, a microwave heating pad in the shape of a Cozy Sheep or Black Bear can help relax tense muscles before bedtime and bring much needed comfort.

No comments: